Famcraft

Author Topic: 2017 North American Solar Eclipse - Information  (Read 2767 times)

Offline Kealper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Minecraft Name: Kealper
2017 North American Solar Eclipse - Information
« Opened on August 20, 2017, 02:26:54 PM (Edited August 20, 2017, 03:46:06 PM) »
On the 21st of August, 2017 (tomorrow or even today, depending on when you're reading this!), there will be a total solar eclipse that goes across the North American continent!

What is a solar eclipse?

A solar eclipse happens when the moon lines up just right in the sky to cast a shadow on the ground during the day. This shadow only lasts a few minutes, and it is not very big, so getting to see one can be a once-in-a-lifetime experience for many of us if we're lucky enough to see one!

What is this "totality" thing I keep hearing about?

The "totality" of the eclipse is what happens when you are completely in the moon's shadow. Not everyone will be able to see the totality, or a total solar eclipse. Most of the continent will experience a partial solar eclipse. It is not safe to look at the eclipse directly without the proper eye protection if the sun is not completely blocked by the moon. During totality, it will change from being bright daylight to almost completely dark within just a few seconds and you'll notice it get noticeably colder outside (and it might even get quieter too!). Totality only lasts a few minutes or less, depending on where you are in the moon's shadow.

Where can I see it?

A partial eclipse will be visible around morning and on into the early afternoon across a large portion of the North American continent. This includes the southern parts of Canada, the entire continental United States (that's all states except Alaska and Hawaii!), and northern parts of Mexico.

If you're in these specific states in the US, you may have a chance to experience a total solar eclipse (in order of when it will happen): Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming, Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia, and South Carolina

If you aren't in those states mentioned above, but you're close to them, you still have a chance to experience a near-total solar eclipse where almost all the light will be blocked. Remember: It is not safe to look directly at the sun without proper eye protection if you are not completely covered by the moon's shadow!

Proper eye protection?

Proper eye protection means special glasses that filter out the sun's bright light. They are not normal sunglasses, and many of them will look sort of like those cardboard 3D glasses you've seen around. Proper solar glasses will be completely dark, letting almost no light through.
Proper eye protection, such as solar glasses, is important! This is because looking at the sun at any time without proper protection is very bad for your eyes and can cause you to go blind! (Seriously!)
Normal sunglasses do not offer enough protection to keep your eyes safe when looking directly at the sun.
This means it is important to remember not to try peeking out from behind the safety of your solar glasses to look at the sun directly if it is not completely covered by the moon, because even that is dangerous!

What if I don't live in an area that will experience this solar eclipse?

If you don't live in an area that will experience this solar eclipse, or if you're in an area that will only experience a partial one, NASA, the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, will be hosting a live streaming event of it as it takes place on their website.

If you would like to watch NASA's live coverage of the solar eclipse, you can do so here: https://www.nasa.gov/eclipselive
Their live stream will start up a little while before the eclipse starts to happen and will continue on through for the whole eclipse.

More Information:

You can read more about safety tips on NASA's official page here: https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/safety

You can read more detailed information about how eclipses happen here: https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/how-eclipses-work

You can read more about this specific solar eclipse here: https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/eclipse-who-what-where-when-and-how

You can see an interactive map that tells you if you will experience a partial or total solar eclipse, as well as tell you when it will start and end, here: https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/interactive_map/index.html

(Video by NASA)

Offline Frumpytrout

• Donator
  • hmmb bird
    • View Profile
  • Minecraft Name: MetalFacedDOOM
Re: 2017 North American Solar Eclipse - Information
« Reply #1 on August 20, 2017, 07:25:56 PM »
Thanks For The Info Kealper  ;D
9/9/2022
living life :)

Offline PlurbehGurbeh

• Donator
  • Yay It's Coop
    • View Profile
  • Minecraft Name: PlurbehGurbeh
« Reply #2 on August 20, 2017, 08:04:10 PM »
First to see it!Oregon FTW!!

Offline ChrisKnight44

• SrMod
    • View Profile
  • Minecraft Name: ChrisKnight44
« Reply #3 on August 21, 2017, 02:54:59 PM »
I was at 90% totality where I live, it was really cool seeing it with glasses 8)  It was cooler but still very light outside--like a cloud was passing in front of the sun.

Offline uscgtanker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on August 21, 2017, 06:28:09 PM »
i was able to see some of it using my welding helmet but it was a very cloudy day so didn't see much. It's a good thing i have the welding helmet using a plasma cutter will blind your eyes without the helmet on.

Offline Vexern

• Donator
  • This is a good sentence.
    • View Profile
  • Minecraft Name: Vexern
« Reply #5 on August 21, 2017, 06:31:46 PM »
Where is the potato eclipse? isn't the moon made out of potatoes?  :P
Hello! I am from Planet Minecraft. I demand... Nothing.