Famcraft

Author Topic: Question about ban  (Read 1504 times)

Offline Nelurek

• Beginner
    • View Profile
Question about ban
« Opened on November 11, 2017, 06:42:47 PM (Edited November 11, 2017, 06:55:48 PM) »
Hi,

My daughter logged in to Famcraft for the first time tonight, excited to play on her first server.  She was banned within ten seconds after moving forward a few steps to read the welcome signs.  The only thing I can think of to cause this may be her handle "Killconey12", a character out of the children's book series "Red Wall".

If the name was the cause, please confirm and also let me know if she can just change the handle and login again.

If it was something else, please let me know.

Thanks.

Edit:  I just logged in on my account "Nelurek" and was banned within 5 seconds.  Is there something wrong with my name?

Offline Kealper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Minecraft Name: Kealper
Re: Question about ban
« Reply #1 on November 11, 2017, 08:01:38 PM »
Hello! Thank you for posting a plea, I can explain the bans to you.

The name "Killconey12" was banned because it is unfortunately pretty similar to a fairly serious "meme" from a few years back, and having players join servers with "shock-factor" names is more common than it should be. I have done some research into it and I do see that the name comes from that book series you mentioned.

Your account was banned immediately just because we don't allow alternate accounts, and seeing that an alternate account of someone who we previously banned for being a probable "troll", we strive to get them off the server as soon as possible. We work quite hard to ensure that we're as safe as can be for our players, and that's one of the ways we look out for them.

I will unban you and your daughter, but multiple staff questioned if her name was okay, as even ignoring any similarity to the "meme" mentioned above, it could be interpreted as a violent statement instead of the innocent name it actually is. It would be ideal if she could use a different name instead, as I'm sure players and parents of younger players could also assume the name meant something else.

Offline Nelurek

• Beginner
    • View Profile
Re: Question about ban
« Reply #2 on November 12, 2017, 06:51:15 AM »
Thanks for the quick response and unban.  We will change her name to something innocuous before connecting!  We are both excited to begin playing, this being our first server we've ever played on.

See you in game!