Famcraft

Author Topic: Survival Map Disappeared?  (Read 4055 times)

Offline Valoram

• View Profile
Survival Map Disappeared?
« Opened on October 05, 2018, 04:53:20 PM »
I know there was a thread some months ago about the map no longer updating because of how much time it consumed. However, for the past several months, it seems like it's run fine, which has been really fun to see projects from a bird's eye view.

When I checked a couple weeks back, the "Survival Map" icon on the home page now links to an "Object Not Found" error.

"Object not found!
The requested URL was not found on this server. If you entered the URL manually please check your spelling and try again.
If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster."

Is the map gone permanently now, or is it just temporarily down?

Offline Kealper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Minecraft Name: Kealper
Re: Survival Map Disappeared?
« Reply #1 on October 05, 2018, 08:50:29 PM »
Just temporarily offline, we moved some things around hardware-wise and we're going to be doing a full regeneration of the website map with full 1.12 block support. Unfortunately, a full regeneration of all that map takes some time, so the map may not be available for another week or so. Once everything is generated again, it will update on a regular schedule again just like it has been. Sorry about the inconvenience!

Offline Valoram

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on October 06, 2018, 02:13:13 PM »
Awesome! Ok thanks for the heads up!

Offline DDHarriman

• View Profile
  • Minecraft Name: DDHarriman
« Reply #3 on October 08, 2018, 08:03:02 PM »
Thanks for the update. I have also noticed this issue persisting, and was getting ready to mention it, but now I know that it's a known issue, so I'll be patient and wait...

DDH

Offline ChrisKnight44

• SrMod
    • View Profile
  • Minecraft Name: ChrisKnight44
« Reply #4 on October 09, 2018, 09:01:24 AM »
It's going to be pretty exciting.  We'll be able to see blocks like purpur and concrete ;D

Offline Kealper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on October 10, 2018, 11:20:00 PM »
The website map is all freshly generated again and will begin automatically updating again soon. You can find it at the usual place: https://map.famcraft.com

Offline WarehouseAgent

• Retired
  • What's mine is ores.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on October 14, 2018, 10:15:51 AM »
Just in case it helps anybody else navigate the map and bookmark their own builds:

I caught on pretty quickly that my old bookmarks needed to be adjusted a bit to work on the new map.
What might have been a bookmark to the default map view at spawn:
http://map.famcraft.com/#/-82444/64/155079/-2/0/0
(BTW, this actually takes you to spawn anyway, as all "wrong" map URLs default the map to spawn.)

Now had URL coordinates in a slightly different format:
https://map.famcraft.com/#main/0/20/-82444/155079/64

But here's some map behavior that perplexed me a bit longer until I figured it out. If I have 2 map locations bookmarked, open a new browser tab, and click the 1st bookmark--everything's fine. I zoom right to that spot.

However, if I then click the 2nd bookmark--nothing happens. The map stays where it was.
But if I open a NEW browser tab and click that 2nd bookmark--the correct 2nd location appears.

Weird, huh?
Father, husband, beleaguered software engineer. IRL alias: Todd

Offline Kealper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on October 16, 2018, 12:19:36 AM »
Yeah, the coordinates in the links changed D:

That weirdness with the links could be just related to how the map works, since the coordinates and stuff are not technically part of the URL, they're sort of like metadata that only your browser knows about. The old map system would have likely had the same weirdness, since it also used that hash/anchor stuff to denote different coordinates in the world.

Offline WarehouseAgent

• Retired
  • What's mine is ores.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on October 30, 2018, 04:04:29 PM »
Not like you have enough else on your plate, but just FYI: I'm getting a "502 bad gateway" for the map lately.
Father, husband, beleaguered software engineer. IRL alias: Todd

Offline Valoram

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on November 29, 2018, 03:42:22 PM »
Did the map go down again? I'm getting an "Apache HTTP Server Test Page" when I click the home-page image link to the map. Same thing when I try the link Kealper posted a couple comments above.

Offline Thoatt

• Admin-
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on December 01, 2018, 12:53:42 PM »
It should be back up pretty much as soon as we notice it going down. It's being hosted in a very temporary way right now - Just need some time to move it to something more permanent.