Famcraft

Author Topic: How to download shaders?  (Read 5795 times)

Offline MrChris13

• Retired
    • View Profile
  • Minecraft Name: MrChris13
Re: How to download shaders?
« Reply #15 on March 05, 2014, 02:54:40 PM »
Well, if you're not able to spend heaps of money on upgrades, your best bet for cost-effectiveness may be to upgrade the RAM. You can get another 4 GB (2 x 2GB cards) for around $40 or less, much cheaper than a new processor or video card :P

If I were you, check how many RAM cards your motherboard supports and over how many channels; If you have 1 x 2GB card in now and the mobo supports 3-channel RAM, I would personally try an extra set of 2 x 2GB cards and see if that boosts the performance with shaders.  Like Chris said though, the video card is definitely the biggest factor here as far as the frames go, but the extra RAM should give your processor a little more to work with.  If you need suggestions for RAM, I'd personally recommend the blue Corsair Vengeance RAM (Got 8GB of it in my own machine); the heatsinks on top come at an extra price but the cooler the better as with anything inside a computer.

Hope it helps :)

With that kind of a computer, though, I doubt it would do much even to upgrade the RAM. I have 4GB of RAM and I still get like 20-30 frames with Shaders, the more intensive ones? 15+. I would recommend building a very high end computer if you really want to use Shaders, much higher than mine or Jordans'. :P

Offline Stitch 🔷 Jordyn

• Retired
  • Professional Blue Koala 🐨
    • View Profile
  • Minecraft Name: StitchAKA626
« Reply #16 on March 05, 2014, 03:52:56 PM (Edited March 05, 2014, 03:55:06 PM) »
"Or Jordan's" eh? Well let me throw something at ya here; dis computer o' mine ain't done yet.  With custom structure comes infinite possibilities. :>

I will admit though, my computer (how it is now and since May 2013 when I built it) can run Ultra shaders at around 25 frames on multiplayer (around 40 on SP), and its pretty much unplayable in most situations due to the lag spikes every few seconds (these occur in SP as well...).

My specs:

Motherboard: Asus M5A97 R2.0
Processor: AMD FX-6300 (3.5 Hz, overclocked to about 3.95-4.1 Hz)
Video Card: MSI Radeon 7850 2GB
RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 850W

And Chris, I'm not saying adding some RAM will send your computer to space, I'm just saying it might help the blue-screens if a full re-haul isn't an option since the processor will have more memory to play with.  Not sure though, I've never had the problem... Just trying to offer some potential advice :P

"Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten."

Hello! I'm Stitch! A blue alien koala who sometimes plays as a gray African Wild Dog named Layden!

Offline Kealper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Minecraft Name: Kealper
« Reply #17 on March 05, 2014, 04:18:13 PM »
A computer will never throw a bluescreen under normal operation, even when running at 100%. If you are getting any bluecsreen errors for any reason, it means there's either an unrecoverable error in the core of Windows (kernel/drivers) or you have failing hardware somewhere.

Given that this only happens when you try to load up Minecraft with the shaders mod, the most likely culprit would be your video driver crashing from some weird graphics call the mod is trying to do and taking everything else down with it.

The first thing I would try to do would be to get the latest graphics driver for your version of Windows for the Radeon HD 4000 series cards.
If you could tell me your version of Windows, I could give you a link to the correct drivers from AMD's website.

Also, your CPU in your computer was released in mid 2009, so your computer is from at least then.

Offline vespamartio

• Donator
  • ello
    • View Profile
  • Minecraft Name: vespamartio
« Reply #18 on March 05, 2014, 04:38:24 PM »
guys, listen to the shark eating a computer, he knows what he's talking about. (This whole thread is practically gibberish to me :P )
"Isn't it funny how
day by day
nothing changes
but when you look back
everything is different..."
        - C.S. Lewis

Offline HaydenTheBuilder

• Retired
  • The Majestic Builder of Famcraft
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on March 05, 2014, 04:59:13 PM »
A computer will never throw a bluescreen under normal operation, even when running at 100%. If you are getting any bluecsreen errors for any reason, it means there's either an unrecoverable error in the core of Windows (kernel/drivers) or you have failing hardware somewhere.

Given that this only happens when you try to load up Minecraft with the shaders mod, the most likely culprit would be your video driver crashing from some weird graphics call the mod is trying to do and taking everything else down with it.

The first thing I would try to do would be to get the latest graphics driver for your version of Windows for the Radeon HD 4000 series cards.
If you could tell me your version of Windows, I could give you a link to the correct drivers from AMD's website.

Also, your CPU in your computer was released in mid 2009, so your computer is from at least then.

thanks for the help Kealps :D

Sadly, i have windows xp because my dad knows nothing about computer and thinks that all version of windows are the same (when i explained to him that we should upgrade to windows 8 because it lacks Aero, he ignored me lol)
I have run other games that are huge in size. And some of them brought me to blue screen errors. The pattern of my computer is that it runs games REALLY well, (like 110fps max) than it suddenly crashes with no signs.

"Today is the First Day of the Rest of Your Life."

Offline Stitch 🔷 Jordyn

• Retired
  • Professional Blue Koala 🐨
    • View Profile
  • Minecraft Name: StitchAKA626
« Reply #20 on March 05, 2014, 06:47:54 PM »
Hayden, you might wanna check this out: https://famcraft.com/index.php/topic,5589.0.html

"Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten."

Hello! I'm Stitch! A blue alien koala who sometimes plays as a gray African Wild Dog named Layden!

Offline HaydenTheBuilder

• Retired
  • The Majestic Builder of Famcraft
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on March 05, 2014, 07:58:04 PM »
"Today is the First Day of the Rest of Your Life."

Offline MrChris13

• Retired
    • View Profile
  • Minecraft Name: MrChris13
« Reply #22 on March 06, 2014, 07:21:12 AM »
Hayden, believe me, Windows 7 is much better than Windows 8 out of the box. You have to do major modifications to Windows 8 to get it running like Windows 7, or a bit better, but I think it's more worth your time just to get Windows 7 if you can :P