Famcraft

Author Topic: Warning Windows XP Users!  (Read 2573 times)

Offline Stitch 🔷 Jordyn

• Retired
  • Professional Blue Koala 🐨
    • View Profile
  • Minecraft Name: StitchAKA626
Warning Windows XP Users!
« Opened on March 05, 2014, 06:47:33 PM (Edited March 05, 2014, 09:13:06 PM) »
Ok guys, this is a REALLY serious issue for ANYONE using Windows XP of any version on any computer.  In early 2009, Microsoft stopped releasing security updates for the OS, making XP rather unsafe as you do not always have the best virus/malware/etc protection, even WITH antivirus or related software. In the upcoming weeks (April 8th!), Windows XP will be COMPLETELY UNSUPPORTED by Microsoft in any way! Going onto a simple webpage will instantly expose you to any web-based threat, including pop-ups, malwave, viruses, and information theft (credit card numbers, home addresses, etc!). Hackers will have EASY ACCESS into anything they want on your computer or in information you send over the internet!

I know many of you cannot afford to or don't want to upgrade to a new OS, but this is a serious issue!  If you can afford it, a fresh single-use copy of Windows 7 goes for around $100 or buy yourself the new Windows 8.1 for around $130 from across the web (just make sure they're a Microsoft Certified Reseller; a pirated copy gonna put you in the same dangerous situation! :P )  If you can't afford Windows at all, even Ubuntu or Linux Mint are viable options.  Of course, if your PC is over 4 years old, a completely new system is also an option.

Please take this into consideration! I'm looking out for you guys!

PLEASE READ: Edit from Thoatt:
This information is largely incorrect. Microsoft is still releasing security updates for Windows XP up until April 8th, 2014. After that, they will STILL be releasing antimalware signature updates(for a limited time).
As with any software, is it not viable for a company to support it forever. Windows XP is 12 years old now, and while many people still prefer it, it's getting old, and at a certain point, they will have to make the decision to stay with old, outdated software, or get something that is still supported. If you have an antivirus that is not Microsoft Security Essentials, you will more than likely still get virus definition updates, and updates for your antivirus.
As with ALL versions of windows and linux, you need to be diligent about your personal information and where you put it. Simply going to any web page does not "open you up to any web based threat", though. If you are concerned with security: Protect yourself. Get antivirus and anti-malware and keep it updated. Be diligent about using https versions of websites. Don't go to bank links, etc, in emails. Type the address in your browser manually, etc. There are many ways to keep you safe (Updating to a newer OS is one of them though).
end of edit.

"Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten."

Hello! I'm Stitch! A blue alien koala who sometimes plays as a gray African Wild Dog named Layden!

Offline HaydenTheBuilder

• Retired
  • The Majestic Builder of Famcraft
    • View Profile
Re: Warning Windows XP Users!
« Reply #1 on March 05, 2014, 07:55:52 PM »
o ya! someone told me in november than i totally forgot about it! lol gotta upgrade ASAP
"Today is the First Day of the Rest of Your Life."

Offline Stitch 🔷 Jordyn

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on March 05, 2014, 08:53:38 PM »
Thank you Thoatt for your elaborations...

News flash kids! Don't listen to everything the news says! :P

Hello! I'm Stitch! A blue alien koala who sometimes plays as a gray African Wild Dog named Layden!

Offline Kealper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Minecraft Name: Kealper
« Reply #3 on March 05, 2014, 09:18:07 PM »
News flash kids! Don't listen to everything the news says! :P

Yep, a lot of news outlets will try to go for the stories that get the most page views, and if that means twisting some details (or just being flat-out wrong), they'll go for it.

Offline Stitch 🔷 Jordyn

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on March 14, 2014, 09:36:42 AM »
Bump, bump. The time is drawing nearer guys! Less than 4 weeks left!

Also remember, if anyone here is too reluctant to install a new operating system or cannot afford to, I may be able to help you find another option, because at the moment, XP certainly isn't your best bet...

Here are some good Windows alternatives for those who cannot afford the full $100+ for a new copy of Windows...

Linux Ubuntu, free (Similar to XP or OS X): http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop
Linux Mint, free (Similar to XP or Win7): http://www.linuxmint.com/index.php
Linux Zorin OS, free - $15 (RECOMMENDED, Similiar to Windows or OS X): http://zorin-os.com/index.html

Of course, do your research before you upgrade to ANY operating system, and remember to backup any important files (including your Minecraft worlds!).  Hope it works out for you guys :) If you have any questions, feel free to ask; I have a decent amount of experience with these OS's and installing/upgrading OS's in general.

Offline Thoatt

• Admin-
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on March 14, 2014, 12:39:33 PM »
I don't think this is the place to be spreading fear about Windows XP.

I also want to point out that if you run in limited user mode, you will eliminate 100% of IE based attacks, and a vast majority of viruses and other attacks. There are ways to make Windows XP safe.

I will now lock this topic.