Famcraft

Author Topic: Question about the Popularity thing.  (Read 4426 times)

Offline Freedollar

• View Profile
Question about the Popularity thing.
« Opened on April 29, 2014, 08:51:21 AM »
What does it do? Why is mine -2? If a good explanation is made, this post could be stickied for other people who are confused about it.

Offline MrChris13

• Retired
    • View Profile
  • Minecraft Name: MrChris13
Re: Question about the Popularity thing.
« Reply #1 on April 29, 2014, 08:59:10 AM »
The popularity is something that probably shouldn't have been implemented on famcrafts forums since anyone can change someone's that they don't "like" (Making that person sad/angry). Under everyone's name, there are buttons that say "Like" or "Dislike" and you're supposed to click them depending on how good the post is that they made where you're clicking it. Yours is -2 because 2 people disliked your posts, this doesn't mean they hate you. You should probably just disregard the whole thing, I never really liked it because of how it could upset people if their popularity is negative.

Offline Stitch 🔷 Jordyn

• Retired
  • Professional Blue Koala 🐨
    • View Profile
  • Minecraft Name: StitchAKA626
« Reply #2 on April 29, 2014, 09:23:17 AM »
Well, if you've ever clicked on the link to SimpleMachines, the web provider for our forums, at the bottom of every page, it's clear to see that the design of our forums very closely resembles their own and other sites hosted by them. My guess is that since we're using a custom format based on the host offers, the popularity meter is not able to be removed due to the integration. Or maybe it's an option within the customizer; not quite sure, but if it is integrated, there's nothing we can really do to remove the feature.

"Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten."

Hello! I'm Stitch! A blue alien koala who sometimes plays as a gray African Wild Dog named Layden!

Offline MrChris13

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on April 29, 2014, 09:44:59 AM »
Well, if you've ever clicked on the link to SimpleMachines, the web provider for our forums, at the bottom of every page, it's clear to see that the design of our forums very closely resembles their own and other sites hosted by them. My guess is that since we're using a custom format based on the host offers, the popularity meter is not able to be removed due to the integration. Or maybe it's an option within the customizer; not quite sure, but if it is integrated, there's nothing we can really do to remove the feature.

You have no idea what wonders a certain Kealper can stir up.

Offline Stitch 🔷 Jordyn

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on April 29, 2014, 10:42:10 AM »
This is true... But I'm gonna say no still, since its coded into the host's system; unless its a specific option somewhere; but hey, prove me wrong Kealper  ;D

Hello! I'm Stitch! A blue alien koala who sometimes plays as a gray African Wild Dog named Layden!

Offline Kealper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Minecraft Name: Kealper
« Reply #5 on April 29, 2014, 11:47:45 AM (Edited April 29, 2014, 11:50:28 AM) »
This is true... But I'm gonna say no still, since its coded into the host's system; unless its a specific option somewhere; but hey, prove me wrong Kealper  ;D

Although we do use a hosting service for the website, it's a general website host, not a specific forum host (those are bad). This gives us all the flexibility that we would have if we were running the website on our own servers. (We do not run the website on our own servers so we have our services separated out, in case one goes down, the website and the Mumble are still online.)

SMF is just our forum software, like phpBB, XenForo, IPBoard, etc to name a few others. These are things that are able to be installed on to any webserver that can support it (PHP, some sort of database server, etc). Our installation of SMF is quite customized with various things, and the user popularity thing can be disabled, we've just never had an issue big enough to warrant disabling it.

If there's enough people who don't want it there, we can disable it though.

Offline MrChris13

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on April 29, 2014, 12:01:11 PM »
If there's enough people who don't want it there, we can disable it.

That's what I thought :)

Offline Stitch 🔷 Jordyn

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on April 29, 2014, 01:53:19 PM »
kthx Kealper, I'm new to this whole internet hosting/using a pre-built website format/my mind is blown by logic thing.

Offline vespamartio

• Donator
  • ello
    • View Profile
  • Minecraft Name: vespamartio
« Reply #8 on April 29, 2014, 03:37:31 PM »
shh... Jordan... don't you remember? This is a no logic server  :P
"Isn't it funny how
day by day
nothing changes
but when you look back
everything is different..."
        - C.S. Lewis

Offline Stitch 🔷 Jordyn

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on April 29, 2014, 03:43:37 PM »
That was kinda the point of me saying that... y u so overlook, eh?

Offline HaydenTheBuilder

• Retired
  • The Majestic Builder of Famcraft
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on April 29, 2014, 08:39:36 PM »
yea, why is mine -2? who keeps disliking me?
"Today is the First Day of the Rest of Your Life."

Offline RubensCherub

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Minecraft Name: RubensCherub
« Reply #11 on April 29, 2014, 10:56:41 PM »
 I have made a few changes to this system. I have never liked it.

People sometimes down vote playfully, not realizing it can be hurtful or disappointing to players.
 Other times, banned players who are here to plea, down vote random posts just because they can. Either way, it's no fun and it feels bad. :(

And still, other times, a player will down vote posts they find to be inaccurate or spammy.

Remember, these votes are not ever supposed to be an opinion of a person, they are intended as an opinion of a post the person made.

The intention of those is to thank someone for helpful posts and information. Sadly, the forum software does not allow us to prevent players from being taken into the negatives. :(

I also have never liked the wording "Popularity" and "Like / Dislike" ? Yikes. I don't like it at all.

I have changed a few settings that should help.

In order to "vote" players must have a set number of posts on the forum. Before, anyone could hop on and vote, even if it was the only thing they ever did on the forum.

Also, members can only vote for other players once every 12 hours, instead of hourly.

We no longer have "popularity". We have "resources". You can now give a player a diamond, or a dirt block for their post. And we all know how useful dirt can be for leveling out land, and making big pretty farms :D

If someone has put you in the negatives, send me a forum message and I will reset your count. Hopefully we will not see any more negatives now that we all understand a little bit more about how this works.  <3

Offline mathfreak2

• Retired
  • integral from 0 to 2sqrt(21) of x wrt x = 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on April 30, 2014, 05:44:10 AM »
Thank you, Anna!
<Thoatt> I was very much into fluid dynamics
(SrMod: ~Rowan) but your opinion on that was... fluid?
<Thoatt> up to ferrofluid in magnetic field dynamics
(SrMod: ~Rowan) that sounds like an attractive field
(SrMod: ~Rowan) I'm going hard on the puns right now XD

Offline ParagliderPanda

• Retired
  • I am the Lorax! I speak for the Trees!
    • View Profile
  • Minecraft Name: PandemicPanda
« Reply #13 on April 30, 2014, 07:07:59 AM »
Such diamond
Much dirt
So Flabbergasted

Sometimes you have to look Beyond The Panda.

Offline Stitch 🔷 Jordyn

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on April 30, 2014, 08:27:24 AM »
Oh, look at Anna, coming up with all the fun stuff! Diamonds to you Anna! :>

Maybe I'll throw a few extras around to your guys while I'm at it  ;)