Famcraft

Author Topic: My 8-year-old is "in time out" and doesn't know why  (Read 1940 times)

Offline joaquinjack

• View Profile
My 8-year-old is "in time out" and doesn't know why
« Opened on August 31, 2014, 10:20:16 PM »
Dear Moderator,

My son has been playing on the famcraft server for a few days, and I'm afraid he's breaking various rules because he's never played with other players before.  I suspect he's broken people's stuff and inadvertently harassed them.  He also doesn't read all that fast, so picking out messages directed at him from all the chat is hard, and he may not have seen any warnings he got.  Is there a way to find out specifically what he's been doing so he can change his ways?  He wants to learn how to play well with others :-[

Thank you!

Offline RubensCherub

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Minecraft Name: RubensCherub
Re: My 8-year-old is "in time out" and doesn't know why
« Reply #1 on August 31, 2014, 11:00:14 PM (Edited August 31, 2014, 11:02:43 PM) »

Hello, and nice to see you here. Thank you for taking the time to help your son plea. We love it when parents get involved in their children's playtime here on Famcraft. It can help to ensure a good time for all Famcrafters. You are welcome to play here with your son if you like. We have many parents who play on the server, including myself.

We have had several issues with joaquinjack. He is currently tempbanned for 3 days.

He joined the server sending out random tp requests to player who did not know who he was, or why he wanted to come to their area. He did not reply to staff's offers of help or a tour.

He has been spamming, which means repeating the same thing over and over after being asked to stop. "PvP" was said literally dozens of times in a matter of a short while, with staff nicely requesting that he stop asking.

He also asked for money many times, which is against the rules. We make it very easy for players to earn their own money as they play on the server normally. It's not a fancy system at all, he can literally earn just for doing the things he enjoys in the game. We also offer a free daily allowance of 1000 Famcoins to make it a bit easier for younger players.

Another issue we have had is griefing. The griefing has included stealing other players crops, and breaking/taking fence posts from a clans spawner system.

We really need to get all these issues under control. This is a very peaceful server, and we do take younger ages into consideration, but we still must ask that all players follow the rules.

An ideal solution would be for you to go over the rules with him slowly, and explain the ones he may not understand.

We also offer every player a tour. Based on his lack of set homes, money and jobs, It is clear he never took the tour. Tours are given in private channels where the only text on the screen would be his own text, and the text of the staff member who was touring him.

We could offer him a tour again f you would be able to sit in and help make sure he pays attention. The server is a lot more fun when you know how to earn money, shop at the mall, set homes, protect your space and all the other features Famcraft has to offer.

Another option is you can walk thru /warp tour with him and help him set up some jobs.

We would even be happy to meet with both of you on mumble, if he could listen to a tour easier than he can read one. Mumble is our 24/7 voice chat server for Famcrafters. It is similar to skype- but no video, of course.

Please let us know how you would like to proceed. We can pardon the 3 day ban early if there is a certain time you would be available to help us work with him, and get him a bit more familiar with the rules and procedures of the server.

Thank you again for taking the time to help him plea.

Offline joaquinjack

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on September 01, 2014, 01:34:24 PM »
Hi!

Thanks so much for all this information. It's really clear, and he now basically understands the rules.  But we would very much like to have him take the tour, with me watching and asking questions and making sure he understands. He's got a bit of an impulse-control problem in general, and because he's highly motivated to play, he will probably be able to learn to control his behavior and stay in the good graces of the famcraft community ;) This is great practice for him in life as well as the game. 

How do we set up a new tour?

Joaquinjack's mom

Offline RubensCherub

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on September 01, 2014, 06:03:17 PM »
 That all sounds great! I will pardon him now. When you/he rejoins the server, please ask for a staff member to assist you with a tour. If I am on, I will be happy to help you myself.   Thanks, Anna

Offline joaquinjack

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on September 04, 2014, 06:59:51 PM »
Hi, RubensCherub,

We've logged on again but it looks like he's still in the jail with the checkerboard floor.  Is there something we should be doing?  Thank you!

Anna

Offline RubensCherub

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on September 04, 2014, 07:04:45 PM »
Thanks! He should be out of jail now

Offline RubensCherub

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on September 13, 2014, 05:09:13 PM »
 joaquinjack has been banned. I am sorry, but it does not seem he has been able to adjust to the way things work here, and it is unfair to the other players to allow him to continue breaking the rules.

He has continued to spam and ask for things, has taken from a public farm without replanting, and broken into someone's fenced in area to kill their animals.

I do hope he will find another server he will enjoy. Thank you for giving Famcraft a try.