Famcraft

Author Topic: Microsoft is buying Mojang  (Read 13262 times)

Offline PixelProne

• Donator
  • I like games, music, cute animals, & social media.
    • View Profile
  • Minecraft Name: PixelProne
Re: Microsoft is buying Mojang
« Reply #30 on October 01, 2014, 12:35:30 AM »
It wont Mickey. Even though Im sorta against MC buying Microsoft, they wouldn't waste 2.5million just to ruin it. Like someone said, my only insurance MC wont destroy it is the 2.5million$ part.
*puts headphones on*
(an hour later)
"oh right"
*plays music*

Offline bakagamer918

• Donator
  • po pi po pi po po pi po
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on October 01, 2014, 01:09:55 AM »
All this doesn't change the fact that I don't trust Microsoft anywhere near as far as I could throw them. They lost me with the horrible UI in Windows 8/8.1.

Offline mathfreak2

• Retired
  • integral from 0 to 2sqrt(21) of x wrt x = 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on October 01, 2014, 04:39:10 AM »
It wont Mickey. Even though Im sorta against MC buying Microsoft, they wouldn't waste 2.5million just to ruin it. Like someone said, my only insurance MC wont destroy it is the 2.5million$ part.

You mean Microsoft buying MC/Mojang? xP
<Thoatt> I was very much into fluid dynamics
(SrMod: ~Rowan) but your opinion on that was... fluid?
<Thoatt> up to ferrofluid in magnetic field dynamics
(SrMod: ~Rowan) that sounds like an attractive field
(SrMod: ~Rowan) I'm going hard on the puns right now XD

Offline dcm121kd35

• Donator
  • Famcraft FTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on October 01, 2014, 06:34:26 AM »
I agree with Sky, Microsoft wouldn't buy Mojang just to decrease the amount of players, and their experience by making it so that you have to pay for say, to access a new update. That would make no sense.

Offline Domsters931

• Donator
  • I love building
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on October 01, 2014, 06:58:27 AM »
I third that ^ but I'm guessing there's gonna be some big changes Maybe for the good?  :o

Offline mathfreak2

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on October 01, 2014, 07:00:27 AM »
I've been playing on computers since Windows 3.11.  I've seen MS buy many many companies over the years and although they may not have "ruined" the software they acquired, they did change every last thing about them over time.  Some stuff, they just did away with because of the competition while using parts of the trashed software in their own. 

Trust me, they didn't pay 2.5 billion for Minecraft with the hopes of making it back with Minecraft.  That paid that much for the game engine technology to use in other games.  It will be a family of games that make the money back for them using Mojang's game engine.

Don't forget, they didn't just buy Minecraft.  They bought Mojang and all of their games.

Remember what Chip said. It may not necessarily be about Minecraft at all except for the technology behind it.

Offline ApolloMew

• Retired
  • Forever ~Mickry
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on October 01, 2014, 03:28:53 PM »
I agree with Sky, Microsoft wouldn't buy Mojang just to decrease the amount of players, and their experience by making it so that you have to pay for say, to access a new update. That would make no sense.

Explain that to a lot of game developers :/

Offline PixelProne

• Donator
  • I like games, music, cute animals, & social media.
    • View Profile
  • Minecraft Name: PixelProne
« Reply #37 on October 03, 2014, 03:02:30 PM »
lel well "c" is next to "d" so theres no guarantee im talking about Microsoft oor Minecraft :P (no jk I meant Microsoft, thanks for pointing out my spelling error (or something) XD)
*puts headphones on*
(an hour later)
"oh right"
*plays music*

Offline Chronomad

• Donator
  • I...i just dig holes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on October 14, 2014, 11:08:28 AM »
Inb4 p2win or p2play. Sorry guys, notorious Microsoft hater here. It's all about revenue with these guys. I'm holding out hope but I'm not confident in their ability to keep the dream alive. Besides. MC has already lost it's sparkle to a lot of people *Cough*me*cough*
Life is like ThaumCraft. You spend all your time looking for the right aspect only to squander it away.

Offline Miss_Ghouls

• Retired
  • Steampunk Pirate Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on October 14, 2014, 12:01:24 PM »
Honestly, i don't think the game will ever be pay-to-play like some of the bigger MMO's. I CAN see them making some kind of special DLC (Think the Aether or skylands kind of things) but i think there will still be updates to the game happening that adds new things for us. (Maybe they'll continue listening to the players, and add in furniture. We're getting close with the new fences & doors, and colored glass!)

I can also see them making new player models, like the deadmau5 skin (he has the custom head shape with the mickey-mouse-like ears). I can see them adding things like teddy bear ears, animal tails, cat ears, etc -- and then making them a micro-buy. (Pay $5 to have a custom body shape/new head!).

I can DEFINITELY see them offering some kind of personal server deal though. Instead of trying to find someone to host your server, you could pay a monthly package & have them host your server for you. (the more slots you want, the more it'll cost, just like normal).

No one has ever profited from changing a game from f2p, to p2p. the other way around? certainly. But i don't see them charging us a monthly fee to play a game that's so widely used -- even in schools.

I don't doubt one bit that they'll find a way to nickel & dime us for content, that's what businesses do (especially gaming ones), but i think they'd be stupid to try and charge us for things we use so often like skin-changing, online access, or updates. <3

Offline ApolloMew

• Retired
  • Forever ~Mickry
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on October 14, 2014, 08:28:27 PM »
Honestly, i don't think the game will ever be pay-to-play like some of the bigger MMO's. I CAN see them making some kind of special DLC (Think the Aether or skylands kind of things) but i think there will still be updates to the game happening that adds new things for us. (Maybe they'll continue listening to the players, and add in furniture. We're getting close with the new fences & doors, and colored glass!)

I can also see them making new player models, like the deadmau5 skin (he has the custom head shape with the mickey-mouse-like ears). I can see them adding things like teddy bear ears, animal tails, cat ears, etc -- and then making them a micro-buy. (Pay $5 to have a custom body shape/new head!).

I can DEFINITELY see them offering some kind of personal server deal though. Instead of trying to find someone to host your server, you could pay a monthly package & have them host your server for you. (the more slots you want, the more it'll cost, just like normal).

No one has ever profited from changing a game from f2p, to p2p. the other way around? certainly. But i don't see them charging us a monthly fee to play a game that's so widely used -- even in schools.

I don't doubt one bit that they'll find a way to nickel & dime us for content, that's what businesses do (especially gaming ones), but i think they'd be stupid to try and charge us for things we use so often like skin-changing, online access, or updates. <3

True, there is a lot of potential changes that can occur. I wouldn't like to have to pay 5$ to get a changed player model. Nor would my parents allow me to likely get it. I think there is a lot of truth to the last sentence, Microsoft seems likely to be a company that will make us do these things, such as, simply paying to get the ability to change your skin (like a one time 1$ fee). I heavily doubt they would charge for online access, as Multiplayer and servers is a huge income for Minecraft. Most players don't like just playing by themselves in Singleplayer. I understand that mods can change how much fun it is, but I really don't enjoy playing Singleplayer opposed to playing Multiplayer with my friends, and checking out some awesome things that other players have done. Just playing with some friends, working towards some goals while having a ton of fun, its just a lot greater of an experience. Btw, the last time I played survival was... June 10th. XD.

Offline mathfreak2

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on October 14, 2014, 08:59:19 PM »
True, there is a lot of potential changes that can occur. I wouldn't like to have to pay 5$ to get a changed player model. Nor would my parents allow me to likely get it. I think there is a lot of truth to the last sentence, Microsoft seems likely to be a company that will make us do these things, such as, simply paying to get the ability to change your skin (like a one time 1$ fee). I heavily doubt they would charge for online access, as Multiplayer and servers is a huge income for Minecraft. Most players don't like just playing by themselves in Singleplayer. I understand that mods can change how much fun it is, but I really don't enjoy playing Singleplayer opposed to playing Multiplayer with my friends, and checking out some awesome things that other players have done. Just playing with some friends, working towards some goals while having a ton of fun, its just a lot greater of an experience. Btw, the last time I played survival was... June 10th. XD.

Heh heh. Before I joined FamCraft, I had been playing Singleplayer for over a year and a half. I haven't really gone back to playing Singleplayer since then (which was at the end of September 2013). I started a couple Singleplayer Survival games when 1.8 purely for testing purposes (so, I don't really count those as going back to Singleplayer), so it's been nearly a year and a month since I've played Singleplayer.

Offline Domsters931

• Donator
  • I love building
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on October 14, 2014, 09:08:55 PM »
I played single player for 3/4 of a year creative mode only  :P .
When Lemmy showed me multiplayer servers I was amazed. Famcraft was my first server.

Offline PixelArtistTavi

• Donator
  • Mew Mao Mew, now go make me a Sammich!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on October 14, 2014, 11:44:50 PM »
I play single player to test out a friends world or just see what colors are being used in a pixel art

Offline Freedollar

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on October 27, 2014, 08:21:14 PM »
as long as dinnerbone remains one of the idea-getters and Jeb stays as main programmer, i think it will be alright.