Famcraft

Author Topic: Not yet banned...  (Read 1846 times)

Offline Fjeksulr

• View Profile
Not yet banned...
« Opened on December 31, 2014, 07:23:30 PM »
... but I managed to use all but the last warning of the swear filter today.

One of them, I admit to. (Although, I thought it was within the limit.) But the other two I'm not sure why triggered a warning. 

Therefore, a few questions:
Will the warning counter be reset after a given time with no more offences?

Can you please enlighten me about the other two words that triggered a warning?

If my offences are not considered rude. Can the counter be reset manually? (Or will I forever risk being kicked out in the middled of a game, if I step over the line that I roughly knows where is?)

And last question: Having English as a second language it is a bit difficult to know the correct shade of every word. Could you please provide a few examples of exclamations, that _are_ allowed? (When, let' say a creeper sneaks up behind you and you loose a lot of stuff.) What is accepted?

I'm all for the swear ban.  Which is why I'm checking out if FamCraft is suitable for my kids.  And I hope I'm not being banned, while meaning no harm.

Regards,
Fjeksulr
No worries

Offline RubensCherub

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Minecraft Name: RubensCherub
Re: Not yet banned...
« Reply #1 on December 31, 2014, 08:15:08 PM »
Hello,

Welcome to Famcraft! I would love to explain a bit more about how our filter works, to set your mind at ease.

First of all, you've said nothing wrong and are at no risk of being banned. We use out filter to help with a lot of things. It does not just block bad words, it also blocks spam and some unfriendly emotes as well as other things.

Our filter, while not perfect, has always served us well. It does take a bit of getting used to and can seem a bit picky at times. We do not use a filter as a substitute for attentive staff, we actually see what is said when the filter fusses about something. We can tell if someone is trying to swear, of if our picky filter is just blocking mild spam or even an innocent word that contains a filtered word.

For example, if you say the word "grapes' the filter will fuss. This is not because we have anything against fruit, lol. There are four letters in a row in the word "grapes" that make up a word that is in our filter. As such, our filter will block this word. This helps prevent new players joining at random and typing strings of characters with swear words in them. Anything blocked by the filter is not visible in chat.

After three "No Swear" warnings, you may be automatically kicked from the server. This is not recorded or held against you. This is an automatic kick done by the plugin. You can log right back in and continue playing. Of course, if someone was really swearing, a staff member would ban them from the server.

The "spam" part of the filter blocks any character repeated four times or more in a row. This helps keep our chat neat and tidy. Without that, our chat would be full of "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!" every time a player is taken by surprise by a creeper, lol.

Things we commonly see player say that are not filtered include things such as darn!, dang., ouch!!, oops!, gosh, golly, why!?, wow! No! and such. Just very mild words to show their disdain. Our primary goal is just to have a safe, clean environment for player of all ages. We like to keep conversation and language light-hearted and good natured. 

Here are the words the filter caught you on:

"shore"  < -- contains a common misspelling of a filtered word

"and AFK is...... ?"  <-- more than four "...."

"ehh...."  <-- "four "...."

Nothing bad, and nothing for you to worry about.

Here is some more info we often display in chat about our filter:

"Occasionally the swear filter will catch a non-swear word, or spam (repeating characters). If this happens you will receive an automatic warning from the server. After 3 warnings, you will be auto-kicked from the server- but you will be able to log back in. You will NEVER be banned based on these automatic kicks. Staff can see what word was actually said to trigger the filter."

I hope some of this info helps to set your mind at ease. Again, Welcome to Famcraft.