Famcraft

Author Topic: Famcraft parents support group  (Read 2942 times)

Offline dharmabm

• View Profile
Famcraft parents support group
« Opened on October 05, 2015, 10:17:44 AM »
As I was trying to get my son to sleep tonight and we were talking about our next construction, our friends on famcraft, the wolfpack we are breeding and other things, I was struck by what I thought to be a brilliant idea. I know there are a lot of adult *kids* on the server that just like the way it is moderated, but many of us are parents who found this as THE BEST public server there is to allow our kids to play in a public environment, without having to worry (too much) about them being exposed to things we would rather not have to explain.
So it occurred to me that it would be a great thing if we could have a private forum thread just for parents, so we can discuss the issues we have to deal with, on many levels, without the kids having access to it. Obviously there would have to be some kind of verification process, but the adults without kids would not need to be excluded (although really, why would they care), but I think that the children should not be able to access it so that we could talk freely about the issues we deal with, both in minecraft and with parenting in general. This may be more than the admins want to take on, but I would be happy to assist in making this happen as I do have a bit of experience in this area.
I don't know how many parents even read this forum, but if anyone thinks this is a good idea maybe we can discuss it further on IRC or mumble or elsewhere.
And to all of you that make this server possible I cannot thank you enough, and I am sure many others share my sentiments.
Kindest Regards
Kevin (dharmabm)

Offline Madspawner

• Donator
    • View Profile
Re: Famcraft parents support group
« Reply #1 on October 05, 2015, 10:53:25 AM »
Not a bad idea, "it takes a village."

Offline RubensCherub

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Minecraft Name: RubensCherub
« Reply #2 on October 05, 2015, 12:26:21 PM »
 We absolutely, positively will not ever be doing this.

The reasons we will never add such a feature are countless but I will try to hit a few key points.

We do NOT collect the ages of the children who play here, and we will not start doing so, for any reason. Period.

We will not make any forum or forum section with the intention of blocking our younger members from viewing it, ever.

As a parent, I have been on parental forums and I know from first had experience they can become as toxic and volatile as ANY political forum. Parenting styles are quite varied and can rapidly lead to highly inflammatory conversation.

The internet is a huge place. I am sorry but if you need a literal parental support group, you'll need to look elsewhere. Famcraft is a family friendly Minecraft game server. Thank you for understanding.

Offline dharmabm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on October 05, 2015, 02:03:46 PM »
Fair enough, I can certainly understand your reasoning. I don't 'need' a parental support group, just thought those of us here might have a lot in common, but I understand your reluctance to host it here, Maybe anyone interested could PM me and I will host it myself.

Offline NeedMoreSheep

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on October 05, 2015, 02:07:23 PM »
Yeah, I have to agree with Anna, friends. While I totally understand the good intentions, (and i can often use emotional and other support in dealing with my kids), this just ain't the place for that kind of nuts and bolts parental sharing. That would be like using a ham sandwich as a screwdriver. Famcraft and its forum makes an excellent ham sandwich. Please use as intended.

Love to all though. ;)

Offline Thoatt

• Admin-
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on October 05, 2015, 02:24:16 PM »
Fair enough, I can certainly understand your reasoning. I don't 'need' a parental support group, just thought those of us here might have a lot in common, but I understand your reluctance to host it here, Maybe anyone interested could PM me and I will host it myself.

If you would like to start your own project, that's up to you, but it would not be Famcraft related in any way, and I would not like to see it advertised here (We don't really allow any other sites to be advertised here)

We understand that there will be groups of people that share lots in common, and are interested in the same things, but Famcraft in and of itself is for providing a safe place for families to play Minecraft, not to support those specific groups individually.

So while I completely understand the want for this type of subsection/subsite, it really is not what Famcraft is for. Any site that you make on your own would be up to you to manage, and not in Famcraft's name.

Thanks

Offline TrueMinecraftGuy

• Donator
  • SamsungHD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on October 05, 2015, 06:54:03 PM »
Famcraft is a fun and safe environment for kids and adults and the forums are closely moderated as well as the server. The filters will catch most of what happends but if its slips, there goes the chat clear to the rescue!!! so I would see the potential but i can see that it is not needed. But really good idea.