Famcraft

Author Topic: Tell me a story, please. :D  (Read 1738 times)

Offline RubensCherub

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Minecraft Name: RubensCherub
Tell me a story, please. :D
« Opened on November 19, 2013, 06:35:34 PM »
 Story telling is becoming a lost art. This makes my heart sad some days. The modern world seems to feel there is no place for stories, now. Everything is digitized and typed, proof read and checked for proper grammar, altered to be more colorful, or less "boring" and carefully sculpted to fit the cookie cutter expectations of today's world.

Stories are reduced to as few words as possible, and made to be directly to the point. No more waiting to find out what happens, or looking for lessons or morals in stories. Just a collection of briefly stated opinions or facts waiting to be read, and forgotten.   

Before there was internet, :O before there was even electricity, our ancestors would tell stories to pass the time, or to form strong bonds between family members and friends. To pass on ideals and expectations, or to offer compassion or inspiration to loved ones. Stories were used as gentle teaching tools for children and adults alike.
  Regardless of your ancestry or ethnic background, you can rest assured story telling was a vital part of the day to day lives of your forefathers.

Stories have long been told to young children, to sooth them into a peaceful dreamland. We have shared them with our sick and our elderly to provide a comfort and warmth that can only come from carefully woven words. Stories can paint vivid pictures of days gone by or beautiful fictitious landscapes.

Stories have a life of their own. They grow and evolve and change. A good story is based on your own perception of events you have experienced or ideas you wish to portray through your own words. They are beautiful, and as alive and you and I. Stories should be cherished and shared, and always handled with the utmost of respect.

It's never too late to look for the stories in your life. Ask your family and friends to share their stories with you. Be generous with your own stories too. Don't be nervous or fearful of your grammar or spelling. Don't worry about your vocabulary. Don't be critical of your subject matter. Just breathe life into your words, and put them down on paper, your screen or speak them aloud to share with those around you.

My life has been touched in so many ways by the stories of others. I have learned lessons, and experienced great sadness, and tremendous joy unlike anything you can get from a book, or a movie.
  Almost every day I think of the stories of loved ones who have passed away or moved on, and even now their words make me smile, all because they took the time to share their stories with me. Stories are forever.

If you've made it this far... then you just might have the heart of a story teller. Won't you consider sharing a story with your fellow Famcrafters?

Tell us about something special in your life. It can be as simple or as elaborate as you like. It can be a true story, or something from the depths of your imagination. Just share, put your words down here, and let them live on. <3

Offline BretBuscus

• Add me on Xbox Live or Steam! BretBuscus! Wheeeew!
    • View Profile
Re: Tell me a story, please. :D
« Reply #1 on November 19, 2013, 08:41:36 PM »
The Story of Johnny Walking-Stick:

In Manitoba, Canada, there is a lake up a "mountainous" area of the province, near a town called Swan River, there is a lake named Whitefish lake, as it is full of Whitefish.

Johnny was a fisherman, or something along those lines. One day, he went out on the lake in his boat, and was knocked into the water by a large object. Dazed, Johnny began trying to swim back to his boat, but was too disoriented and accidentally swam further out into the lake. When he finally regained his senses, it was too late. He had no chance of swimming back without drowning from fatigue. He suddenly felt a tugging on his leg. He felt what seemed to be teeth in his leg. He looked down in the water to see a large shape pulling on his leg. It turned out to be a Jackfish, (AKA a Pike [I think]) eating his foot, thinking it was a smaller fish. He was drowned by that fish, but not before it ate his foot. Legend has it, that if you go down to the beach early enough in the morning, you'll see a mist forming, and a man limping, using a piece of driftwood as a crutch. If you look close enough, you can make out that he's missing a foot. But don't stare too long.... OR HE'LL GET YOU!!!

Want to know how I know all of this..... ?

.... because....

I am Johnny Walking-Stick! DUN DUN DUNNN!

Fin. (Ha! Get it fin?! Cuz of fish?... no?.... ok :[ )

Offline BretBuscus

• Add me on Xbox Live or Steam! BretBuscus! Wheeeew!
    • View Profile
Re: Tell me a story, please. :D
« Reply #2 on November 19, 2013, 08:42:17 PM »
Hopefully my story wasn't too dark and creepy for anyone. Lol.