Famcraft

Author Topic: Microsoft is buying Mojang  (Read 13270 times)

Offline RubensCherub

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Minecraft Name: RubensCherub
Microsoft is buying Mojang
« Opened on September 16, 2014, 01:31:38 PM (Edited September 16, 2014, 01:47:47 PM) »
 Microsoft is buying Mojang, and we are 100% okay with this. This has no immediate impact on Famcraft, and we would rather not see it discussed on the server at all. If you feel you must discuss it, please keep it in this thread.

Some things to keep in mind:
    2.5 billion dollars is a lot of money. That's more money than some entire countries have! Microsoft would not want to lose that sort of money by changing the core of what makes Minecraft so magical.
    Official channels have stated that as of right now, there's no plans whatsoever to change Minecraft's formula for success. This means that all supported systems (Windows/Linux/Mac, Android/iOS, Xbox/PlayStation, etc) will continue as they always have.
    Modding, both server-side and client-side, has always been a part of Minecraft and Microsoft already understands this. There are currently no plans to put an end to modding, either. Modding will continue to stay the same as it has been.
    The core development team for Minecraft has not changed, they are still hard at work on Minecraft. If you are concerned about the people who are leaving Mojang, they either have no been actively involved in the development of Minecraft in a long time, or have not been involved at all.

Offline Lord_Puggy

• Donator
  • There Is No Luck Like Pug Luck
    • View Profile
Re: Microsoft is buying Mojang
« Reply #1 on September 16, 2014, 01:39:34 PM »
i kinda like this happening, the reason i think this is because it has taken mojang 1year to release 1 update but if microsoft gets control they have more programmers and more money to develop the game. so in my opinion more updates adds up to better minecraft, the only bad thing is if they try to make minecraft well... not minecraft by adding circles ETC but i doubt this will happen
<Mickey> me being so smart, I thought I was jailed
<Mickey> so I typed /unjail Supermickey24
<Mickey> And now I'm stuck in jail...
<Mickey> jailed.
<Mickey> forever...
<Mickey> Halp
<Mickey> XD

Offline PixelProne

• Donator
  • I like games, music, cute animals, & social media.
    • View Profile
  • Minecraft Name: PixelProne
« Reply #2 on September 16, 2014, 02:07:06 PM (Edited September 16, 2014, 02:13:13 PM) »
if they try to make minecraft well... not minecraft by adding circles ETC but i doubt this will happen

agreed.  :D
But the reason why it took a year is because of new blocks etc..
*puts headphones on*
(an hour later)
"oh right"
*plays music*

Offline Lord_Puggy

• Donator
  • There Is No Luck Like Pug Luck
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on September 16, 2014, 03:56:19 PM »
i could load up photoshop and make my own block or tool in 5mins :P, the longest thing is setting the spawning of the block ETC, the hardest thing in that update i would say was the water dungeons and the new mobs.

hopefully microsoft does not mess this up i have high hopes lol

~ JrMod Puggy
<Mickey> me being so smart, I thought I was jailed
<Mickey> so I typed /unjail Supermickey24
<Mickey> And now I'm stuck in jail...
<Mickey> jailed.
<Mickey> forever...
<Mickey> Halp
<Mickey> XD

Offline Domsters931

• Donator
  • I love building
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on September 16, 2014, 06:51:20 PM »
I'm sort of worried. The only thing that gives me a bit of insurance is how much Microsoft is investing in the game. 

Offline Kealper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Minecraft Name: Kealper
« Reply #5 on September 16, 2014, 07:33:18 PM »
Changes to the way the game client handles blocks and displaying the game world is partially what took a big chunk of time.

More developers doesn't always mean faster development times, however... Microsoft does have practically infinite resources to throw at Minecraft should they wish to. Overall, I think this will end up improving things.

Offline Domsters931

• Donator
  • I love building
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on September 16, 2014, 08:20:07 PM »
In my opinion we shouldn't be mad because of how much notch and mojang has done. I know if I had that position I would be very stressed and busy. I'm excited to see what ideas Microsoft has.

Offline 1869_Flame

• Retired
  • Home is where my dirt-hut is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on September 17, 2014, 03:27:02 AM »
I dont think its a good or bad thing for MC.
I DO wonder about the fact 2.5 billion, how is this gonne pay back for Microsoft? After all, they wont invest this money into it of they only lose money on it.
My guess will be that the main chunk will be earned back with merchandise and the MC movie and such, but i wonder of it will be enough to justify the investment microsoft did.

I really really hope they are not going to release DLC packs in the future that require micro-payments.

But for now its only speculation, i guess its best to just wait and see what will happen :)

Offline LightBulbasaur

• Retired
  • Hi?
    • View Profile
  • Minecraft Name: Lightbulbasaur
« Reply #8 on September 17, 2014, 07:58:42 AM »
Well, I think that minecraft will be fine. 2.5Billion dollars?? No company would waste that much money to ruin a game, its to risky. Plus minecraft is on the top list of games across many platforms. (This isn't 100% true) But some people think Microsoft wanted mojang because the technology behind it was one of the best there is :o
<FamCraftIRC> Supermickey24 was slain by Ender Dragon
<FamCraftIRC> (JrMod: ~BugsBunny) Dragon 1 Mickey 0
<FamCraftIRC> (Helper: ~Mickey) shh
<FamCraftIRC> (Helper: ~Mickey) I got dis
<FamCraftIRC> Supermickey24 was slain by Ender Dragon

Offline mathfreak2

• Retired
  • integral from 0 to 2sqrt(21) of x wrt x = 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on September 17, 2014, 11:31:16 AM »
Mojang has already made hundreds of millions of dollars off of Minecraft. If Minecraft continues to grow at its current pace, it would not surprise me if Microsoft earned its money back in less than 5 years.
<Thoatt> I was very much into fluid dynamics
(SrMod: ~Rowan) but your opinion on that was... fluid?
<Thoatt> up to ferrofluid in magnetic field dynamics
(SrMod: ~Rowan) that sounds like an attractive field
(SrMod: ~Rowan) I'm going hard on the puns right now XD

Offline ApolloMew

• Retired
  • Forever ~Mickry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on September 18, 2014, 09:34:19 AM »
Mojang has already made hundreds of millions of dollars off of Minecraft. If Minecraft continues to grow at its current pace, it would not surprise me if Microsoft earned its money back in less than 5 years.

Its likely. But it might not happen if Microsoft makes bad changes to the game.

Offline chipw

• Retired
  • Crazy like a bear asleep in the winter...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on September 19, 2014, 12:18:23 PM »
I've been playing on computers since Windows 3.11.  I've seen MS buy many many companies over the years and although they may not have "ruined" the software they acquired, they did change every last thing about them over time.  Some stuff, they just did away with because of the competition while using parts of the trashed software in their own. 

Trust me, they didn't pay 2.5 billion for Minecraft with the hopes of making it back with Minecraft.  That paid that much for the game engine technology to use in other games.  It will be a family of games that make the money back for them using Mojang's game engine.

Don't forget, they didn't just buy Minecraft.  They bought Mojang and all of their games.
(Owner: bknysnake) move road...
(Owner: bknysnake) move
(JrAdmin: roadkilered) its ok we got it
roadkilered has died of unknown causes

Offline bo_weevil

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on September 19, 2014, 10:28:25 PM »
Hey chip, I learned how to run computers on an Atari 800. I think I might have you beat :)

Offline DrewsMagicMonkey

• Retired
  • Steve's Pet Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on September 21, 2014, 08:48:26 AM »
What happens if Microsoft makes a very bad change to the game in the future and no one likes it and it add bad things. Will we still have to update famcraft or can we stay at the update we think would be best?

Offline Kealper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Minecraft Name: Kealper
« Reply #14 on September 21, 2014, 01:37:43 PM »
What happens if Microsoft makes a very bad change to the game in the future and no one likes it and it add bad things. Will we still have to update famcraft or can we stay at the update we think would be best?

We'd be able to stay on the version that suits everyone best, if that were to happen. But like I said, given the amount of resources that are involved, I don't think that will be an issue.